PhD, Yale University 1980
Condee is a scholar of contemporary Russian culture, cinema, and cultural politics, Director of Graduate Studies (Slavic), and Director of Global Studies (UCIS).
• 2011. Modern Language Association (MLA) Aldo and Jeanne Scaglione Prize for Studies in Slavic Languages and Literatures
• 2010. Annual research prize from the Society for Cinema and Media Studies (Katherine Singer Kovács Book Award)
• 2007-2009. Appointment to Oxford University (New College) Research Network: Russian National Identity Since 1961: Traditions and Deterritorialisation. Multi-year international research network funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK)
• 2004. British Academy Visiting Fellow: Oxford University (St. Antony’s College)
• 2000-2002. Ford Foundation Grant on Globalization and Popular Culture
Outside Capital: Postmodernism as Second-World Practice
Anti-Imperialist Empire: Formations of Second-World Culture
Cultural Studies Common Seminar: Intellectual Orthodoxy
Stalin Culture; Thaw, Stagnation, and Perestroika
Condee, Nancy. Imperial Trace: Recent Russian Cinema. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009.
Smith, Terry, Okwui Enwezor, and Nancy Condee, eds. Antinomies of Art and Culture: Modernity, Postmodernity, Contemporaneity. Durham: Duke University Press, 2008.
Condee, Nancy, Executive Producer. Kino ottepeli [Thaw Cinema]. Marina Trush and Artem Grishanin, Producers. Studio Artima (Moscow), 2002. CD-Rom data-base on Thaw cinema (300 films, 2000 illustrations; 130 posters; 17 video fragments; memoirs and interviews).
Balina, Marina, Nancy Condee, and Evgenii Dobrenko, eds. Endquote: Sots-Art Literature and Soviet Grand Style. Evanston, IL: Northwestern UP, 2000.
Condee, Nancy, ed. Soviet Hieroglyphics: Visual Culture in Late Twentieth Century. Russia. Bloomington/London: Indiana UP and British Film Institute, 1995.
Contemporary Russian cinema
Empire and postcolonial theory
Late Soviet culture
Representative Conference Presentations
• University of Groningen (Netherlands). Keynote talk. “Cop Angst: Working Through and Acting Out.” Suffering, Agency, and Memory in Polish, Russian, and Ukrainian Films (Memory at War multi-year, international collaborative project funded by HERA). 22-23 March 2012
• Cambridge University (Kings College, UK). Conference Memory and Theory in Eastern Europe. Paper entitled “City-Cemetery, or the New Enchantments of Russian Landscape.” 5 July 2011
• Universität Passau (Germany). “Kontranimy vnutrennoi kolonizatsii (o russkom kino)” [“The Contranyms of Internal Colonization (on Russian Cinema)”]. International conference Vnutrenniaia kolonizatsiia Rossii. 25 March 2010
• UNESCO International Forum on the Social Science/Policy Nexus: Social Sciences, Social Transformation, Social Policies. Buenos Aires (Argentina). Keynote entitled “Hollywood, Moscow: Cultural Innovation as Resistance to Change?” 20-24 February 2006
• University College Melbourne. The Melbourne Conferences: Modernity and Narratives of Soviet Power. Paper entitled “Sloughing off the Imperial Coil: Sokurov and Death.” 6 July 2006