Associate Professor, College of William and Mary
PhD, Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Pittsburgh, 2003
MA, Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Pittsburgh, 1996
Russian Media Culture
World Cinema Before TV
Dostoevsky's Major Novels
History of Russian Cinema
Elementary through Advanced Russian Language
• “Glamorously (post) Soviet: Reading Yo soy Betty, la fea in Russia.” TV's Betty Goes Global: From Telenovela to International Brand. Eds. Janet McCabe and Kim Akass. London and NY: I.B.Tauris, 2013. 206-221.
• “Gender(ed) Games: Romance, Slapstick, and Ideology in the Polish Television Series Four Tank Men and a Dog.” Embracing Arms: Cultural Representation of Slavic and Balkan Women in War. Eds. Helena Goscilo and Yana Hashamova. Budapest: Central European UP, 2012.
• ‘”From the Red Screen to the Multiplex” (co-authored with Alexander Prokhorov). In “ Senses of Cinema-Going: Brief Reports on Going to the Movies Around the World.” Eds. Arthur Knight, Clara Pafort-Overduin, and Deb Verhoeven. Senses of Cinema Issue 58; http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2011/feature-articles/senses-of-cinema-going-brief-reports-on-going-to-the-movies-around-the-world/
• “Belorussia Station.” Noev kovcheg russkogo kino: ot “Sten’ki Razina” do “Stiliag.” (The Noah’s Arc of Russian Cinema). Eds. Ekaterina Vassilieva and Nikita Braguinski. Moscow: Globus-Press, 2011. 281-286.
• “Flushing Out the Soviet: Common Places, Global Genres and Modernization in Russian Television Serial Productions.” Russian Journal of Communication Vol. 3 Nos. 3/4 (Summer/Fall 2010): 185-204.
Soviet and post-Soviet television, film, and literature
Employment Since Graduation
Associate Professor, Department of Modern Languages, The College of William and Mary 2012-present
Assistant Professor, Department of Modern Languages, The College of William and Mary, 2008-2012
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Modern Languages, The College of William and Mary, 2006-2008
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Modern Languages, Universiity of Richmond, 2005-2006
Visiting Instructor, Department of Modern Languages, The College of William and Mary, 2003-2005